Golden whirligigs with a tart lemon flavor float on a ruby raspberry sauce in this delectable dessert. I love serving it for guests. My children also like it made with blackberries. —Vicki Ayres, Wappingers Falls, New York
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Heavy whipping cream and additional raspberries, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Place raspberries in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. shallow baking dish; pour hot sauce over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven; set aside.
- For whirligigs, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg and half-and-half; stir into crumb mixture to form a stiff dough.
- Shape into a ball. On a lightly floured surface. roll out into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Combine the sugar, butter and lemon peel; spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly roll style, starting at a long side. Cut into 10 slices; pat each slice slightly to flatten. Place of berry mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes or until whirligigs are golden. Garnish servings with cream and raspberries if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Whirligigs with Raspberries in Taste of Home June/July 1996, p25
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Whirligigs with Raspberries
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review