- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into the creamed mixture.
- Pour into three greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking
- pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10
- minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a saucepan. Gradually add
- milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2
- minutes more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir a little of the hot
- filling into the yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle
- boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon
- juice, vanilla and peel. Cover and cool. Fold in the cream. Spread
- between each layer and on top of cake. Cover and chill. Yield: 12-16
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 277 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.