- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into
- thirds. Roll each piece into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread
- remaining melted butter over dough. Combine the chopped almonds,
- lemon peel and remaining sugar; sprinkle over butter. Roll up
- jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams and ends to
- seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. With a knife,
- cut loaves in half lengthwise to within 1 in. of one end. Holding
- the uncut end, loosely twist strips together. Cover and let rise
- until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes until bread sounds hollow when
- tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine the confectioners'
- sugar, lemon peel, extract and enough milk to achieve spreading
- consistency; spread over warm bread. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 274 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 104 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.