- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff and glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread in a well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 300° for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in the top of a double boiler, whisk egg yolks until lemon-colored. Add the lemon juice, peel and remaining sugar. Cook over hot but not boiling water, stirring occasionally, until thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread half of whipped cream over meringue shell; cover with lemon mixture. Top with remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate. Best made one day before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Torte(3)
Sort By :
Excellent lemon flavor and easy to make. Would reccomend to anyone. One variation I tried to give it some flavor and color variation was to add rasberry sauce to the filling. Rasberry and lemon go very well together. Another variation is to make a chocolate merange
LOVE LEMON RECIPES. LIGHT TASTE