VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter, sugar, thyme and lemon peel until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Roughly shape dough into a 12-in. roll along the edge of a 12x12-in. sheet of waxed paper. Tightly roll waxed paper over dough, using the waxed paper to mold the dough into a smooth roll. Securely wrap roll in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until edges begin to brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to finish cooling. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Thyme Icebox Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2017