Lemon-Thyme Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine buttermilk and sour cream. Combine the flour, thyme, lemon peel, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
1 slice equals 212 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Lemon-Thyme Bread
"This recipe has become one of my favorites-and a favorite of my family and friends! The mini loaves make terrific gifts--if they last long enough to give!"
"Love this recipe! Use my own lemon-thyme that I grow and I make muffins. Can't keep them around...family eats them up!"
"My family loves this recipe, especially the guys. I make muffins and they can't stop eating them. I grow my own lemon thyme so the grandkids love picking it and chopping it."
"This is a definite keeper. The keys are fresh tyme and fresh lemon in a great combination. Everyone with whom we've shared this has raved about it."
"I just made this last night and it turned out very well. The taste is so refreshing and light. The mix of fresh thyme and lemon is excellent!!!"
"So much fun to make, and so delicious. It has the texture of Sara Lee pound cake! I am going to try making it without the thyme and lemon and just add some vanilla, and it would taste just like pound cake without all the work. I might even mix in some mini chocolate chips. :)"
"This is simply delicious"
"I thought this bread recipe was outstanding. It is just different enough to catch your attention, and seems like the perfect thing to serve with a cup of hot tea. I used 1 tablespoon of dried thyme instead of the fresh. It is a recipe I will be making again soon! Dianne"
"We have a lemon tree with so many lemons, so I froze some of the zest.Tried this recipe, it was very good. Light flavor and just nice with a cup of tea."
"Good and super easy bread! My husband loved the lemon flavor!"
"A co-worker made this and shared it. It was very good. Lightly flavored and not too sweet."
"This bread looks luscious, although haven't had pleasure of making yet, taste of home recipes have never failed me yet. THANK YOU!!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.