- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the lemon juice, lemon peel and extracts.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into a 12-in. roll; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-9 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Thins
"The BEST lemon cookies. I used a thin lemon glaze with powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice and a little bit of water instead of dusting with powdered sugar. Everyone raved about them. I think I will make them smaller next time tho"
"This cookie is perfect tor afternoon teas. Delightful taste. No one can eat just one!"
"I made this receipe last night and to my suprise they were really good. They are a light ,crisp cookie. Love them! I will be making this cookie for a cookie exchange this holiday season. I can't wait to pass this receipe on to my friends."