- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- Shape into two 14-in. rolls; reshape each roll into a 14x1-1/8x1-1/8-in. block. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle half of the cookies with nuts, gently pressing into dough.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, cream the butter, lemon juice and orange peel until fluffy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar until smooth. Tint yellow if desired. Spread about 1 teaspoon on bottoms of the plain cookies; place nut topped cookies over filling. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Tea Cookies
"These are really great, My daughter loves lemon so these were a hit"
"These cookies are simply delicious, and worth the effort. The recipe is excellent as is; for my second go-round, I ground up a teaspoon of dried lavender and mixed it in with the flour—just for something a little bit different. These actually get better after sitting in a cookie tin for a couple of days!"
"I made these cookies for a bridal shower and the ladies loved them. The only thing I did differently was to use lemon curd between the cookies instead of the filling in the recipe.They are delicious."
"These look really scrummy ! Thankyou Phyllis."
"My favourite. They will literally melt in your mouth. I put the dough in saran wrap, shape a log, and then put in fridge for a couple hours before slicing. To save time, I just ice the cookies instead of making sandwiches. Note: I found these taste better and last longer if kept in the fridge."
"I loved these bite size cookies! They were a little time consuming but were so worth the work. The yummy filling is the perfect compliment to the shortbread cookie . I did double the recipe and I'm so glad i did :)"
"I made these for my wedding and they were a hit. They have just the perfect lemon flavouring. WONDERFUL!!!"
"I am attempting to make these and they are really hard to form after mixing the ingredients. Is that right?"
"Definitely worth a little work! I love to make these for showers and special parties!"