With subtle lemon flavor, these flaky biscuits make a nice addition to a small buffet or light lunch. Try them the next time you host a holiday tea party for friends, family or co-workers. —Jane Rossen, Binghamton, New York
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- LEMON BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk and lemon juice just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine lemon butter ingredients until blended. Serve with warm biscuits. Yield: 16 biscuits (1/2 cup butter).
Originally published as Lemon Tea Biscuits in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p36
Reviews for Lemon Tea Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review