Lemon flavors sparkle throughout this cheesecake, from the crust to the filling to the topping. Build up the edges of the cheesecake to keep the lemon filling right where you want it. —Karen Chesnut, Clarksburg, California
- 1-1/2 cups crushed lemon cream-filled sandwich cookies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- LEMON FILLING:
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- CHEESECAKE LAYER:
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Combine the cookie crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom of a lightly greased 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Cool pan on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the lemon juice, butter and peel. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over lemon juice; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Gradually beat in gelatin mixture until combined. Fold in the whipped cream and lemon peel.
- Spoon three-fourths of cheesecake mixture into crust; build up edges slightly. Chill for 5 minutes. Spoon lemon filling over cheesecake layer to within 1/2 in of edges. Top with remaining cheesecake mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan; remove sides of pan. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Surprise Cheesecake in Country Woman September/October 2002, p29
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Surprise Cheesecake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review