Lemon Supreme Pie Recipe
- Pastry for deep-dish pie (9 inches)
- LEMON FILLING:
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 4 to 5 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Additional frozen whipped topping, optional
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, roll pie dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 425°. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For lemon filling, combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; add remaining sugar. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring, if desired. Gently stir in lemon juice. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- 4. For cream cheese filling, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and lemon juice. Spread over pie shell; top with lemon filling. Refrigerate overnight.
- 5. If desired, dollop additional whipped topping over lemon filling. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 735 calories, 42g fat (26g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 604mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Supreme Pie
"great pie. took another reviewer's suggestion to only put 5 Tbs corn starch and it was perfect. Also used my own crust . Very good flavor."
"I loved this pie! I used my own crust, and I didn't reserve a 1/2 cup of the cream layer for garnishing I kept it in the pie, which I'm glad I did because it didn't seem like it was enough to fill the pie if I didn't. I served it with whipped cream as a garnish instead, but it doesn't even need it. I also added a teaspoon of lemon zest to the cream filling as well."
"This recipe is quite good, but like some other people mine looks nothing like the picture. I ended up with about as much lemon filling as cream cheese filling; way more than pictured. I also experienced the weird slimy liquidy layer on top of the pie after a day in the fridge. Weird. But it tastes great and is super easy to make! This one is definitely a keeper."
"Good recipe but added a few changes to make it great. 1. Don't use a pre made base. Use 250g of crushed digestives (17 biscuits), put in bag then demolish with a rolling pin. Pop it in a bowl then add 110g of melted butter mixing then push into a removable base tin then place in oven at 160 for 8 minutes. 2. Once you have made the lemon topping sive the sauce and remove all the disgusting lumpy gelatine created my the cornflour and bin it. 3. Use real whipped cream."
"I love Taste of Home recipes!"
"Lovin_it, real whipped cream is always better and will totally work. I agree with you completely. Aside from the hydrogenated oils, "whipped topping" also eats fake eyelashes. True story."
"Why are we still using Hydrogenated oil (whipped topping )? I would think Heavy whipping cream would be better. Has anyone tried it?"
"This was soooo good. The cheesecake filing needed about 4 to 5 teaspoons more of lemon juice to taste, and I halved the cheesecake filing recipe and doubled the lemon filing. I had way too much of the lemon filling and still way more than I needed of the cheesecake filing. Over all though, I used the leftovers to make a second pie and two custard cups. I can't wait to eat this and share with my friends. Fresh lemons really made the difference I think in the rich flavor of the pie, so I highly recommend that. THANK YOU for this recipe!!!!"
"My husband likes this refreshing pie. I have used other toppings over the cream cheese filling."
"I made this for Easter dinner and it was WONDERFUL! The only change I made was to cook the lemon layer in the microwave. I will definitely make this again the taste is rich and good and it was easy to prepare. I also plan to use the lemon topping in a couple of recipes which call for lemon pie filling.THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!"
"I'm not sure what I did wrong. I am a good baker, and I followed the recipe exactly, measuring everything. However, the topping turned out 3 times higher than the picture, and the bottom was lower. Not sure what went wrong. Also, the topping thickened very fast, before I added the last sugar. I didn't have to cook it anymore after that."
"our newest favorite... loved it!!!"
"I made this yesterday in a bar form. It looked beautiful when i put it in the fridge. When i took it out to cut it today it had a lot of liquid on the top that I had to drain off. It tasted great but the top layer was sliding off the cream cheese. What did I do wrong."
"One of my very first recipes to try when Toh first got started. It has remained a favorite of mine."
"if possible i would have given this 100 stars...it is the best lemon pie ever."
"I used a graham cracker crust instead of a regular pie crust (thought it would go nicely with the cream cheese) and it was delicious. Also, instead of reserving some of the cream cheese filling for garnish, I used it all in the pie and garnished with sweetened whipped cream to balance out the tartness of the lemony layers. Excellent!!"
"This is a favorite at family gatherings. Tastes just like a bakery. The only change was the whipped topping, if I going to go through the trouble to make a pie from scratch, I'm going to use real whipped cream"
"Absolutely wonderful pie. Everyone who tries it wants it again and again."
"my daughter has made this for years and we all love it. my granddaughter and i made it for easter and we'll definitely make it again."
"I made this recipe from your June/July 1998 issue this evening. The lemon filling didn't thicken even after cooking 8 minutes. I noticed your recipe on your website reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup and also the lemon juice to 1/2 cup. I had to toss my filling and make as the recipe shows on your website. So will have to wait and see if it thickens."
"I'm so excited to get this recipe. My mom and I used to go to a restaurant when I lived in California called Bakers Square just for this pie (20+ years ago). Unfortunately they closed down and I haven't had it since. It was my FAVORITE pie of all time. Thank you for sharing it. Donna Lefurgey, Chino Valley, AZ"
"This is a really good lemon pie, one of our favorites!"
"So easy to make and just the right balance of tart and sweet!"
"This is one of the best pie recipes there is! Everyone asks for the recipe every time I make it. It is simply addicting! PiNK_ND"
"Soooooo good. Tastes just like the pie we get at bakers square, but not anymore, because now I can make it! Thanks for such a great recipe."
" I am in on this one.... Make one up and send my way, please!!!!