- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugars and oil until blended. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; stir into butter mixture (dough will be stiff).
- Roll into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press with bottom of a glass dipped in water, then in sugar. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Yield: about 11 dozen.
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Lemon Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
I made these today and only got 7dozen. Added zest from 1 lemon and they still did not not taste lemony at all.
I have made these cookies for years. Only I put Almond (pure) flavoring in mine. I am going to try it with lemon next time however. Love them.....and it's a very OLD recipe which surprized me.
I took the reviews suggestions and added like a 1/2 tsp more lemon extract.I also just did drop cookies with them and made a lemon glaze to put on them with confectioners sugar,milk and lemon extract instead of the sugar,they were soooo delicious !!!!!
I don't know if its because I beat the dough a lot or what but these just melt in your mouth! Maybe use lemon juice instead of water for the sugar dip.
These are my 'go to cookie' ! Easy and fast. Everyone loves them. They are great when you have to take a bunch of cookies to a function or as a Thank You.