- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugars and oil until blended. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; stir into butter mixture (dough will be stiff).
- Roll into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press with bottom of a glass dipped in water, then in sugar. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Yield: about 11 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Sugar Cookies
"Good but not the consistency I was looking for. Will try again using all granulated sugar."
"These sugar cookies are light and heavenly. I have also added almond flavoring in place of the lemon, and that too, is good. My family loves them and they are easier than regular sugar cookies. This one is a keeper."
"Recipe name is misleading. These are sugar cookies. Previous reviewer is right. Recipe is ok but nothing to be listed in T of H. If I made them again I would add a tsp of vanilla and half tsp of salt. I didn't have extract so added a tablespoon of lemon. I would double it next time. To make them a little prettier I rolled them in my hands and dipped in sugar. I am a snowbird in AZ and had forgotten my wonderful sugar cookie recipe in ND. I didn't hesitate to check T of H, but this one disappointed."
"These were easy to make, but my family didn't care for the taste of the lemon extract. I'll definitely make them again, but substitute fresh lemon juice and zest for the extract."
"Tried these for the first time today. Only made a 1/2 batch and got 4 dozen. Unfortunately, they taste flat with only a slight lemon taste (even though I added a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and also some lemon zest). Just realized that there is no salt or vanilla in this recipe. Will try next time with a bit of salt and some vanilla extract. May also add some sugar sprinkles to the top for added sweetness."