- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugars and oil until blended. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; stir into butter mixture (dough will be stiff).
- Roll into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press with bottom of a glass dipped in water, then in sugar. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Yield: about 11 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"Tried these for the first time today. Only made a 1/2 batch and got 4 dozen. Unfortunately, they taste flat with only a slight lemon taste (even though I added a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and also some lemon zest). Just realized that there is no salt or vanilla in this recipe. Will try next time with a bit of salt and some vanilla extract. May also add some sugar sprinkles to the top for added sweetness."
"I made these today and only got 7dozen. Added zest from 1 lemon and they still did not not taste lemony at all."
"I have made these cookies for years. Only I put Almond (pure) flavoring in mine. I am going to try it with lemon next time however. Love them.....and it's a very OLD recipe which surprized me."
"I took the reviews suggestions and added like a 1/2 tsp more lemon extract.I also just did drop cookies with them and made a lemon glaze to put on them with confectioners sugar,milk and lemon extract instead of the sugar,they were soooo delicious !!!!!"
"I don't know if its because I beat the dough a lot or what but these just melt in your mouth! Maybe use lemon juice instead of water for the sugar dip."