For a change-of-pace side dish or appetizer, microwave some artichokes. Lorraine Galazyk of South Surrey, British Columbia flavors them with lemon slices and garlic butter, which is great for dipping.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium artichokes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Rinse artichokes well; trim stems. With scissors, snip 1 in. off the
- tops. Snip the tip end from each leaf. Brush cut edges with the
- lemon juice. Spread artichokes leaves open. Using a small knife,
- carefully cut around each center choke. Scoop out and discard the
- fuzzy centers.
- Cut each of the lemon slices into six wedges; place between artichoke
- leaves. Place artichokes in an 8-in. microwave-safe dish. Combine
- butter and garlic; pour over artichokes.
- Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until artichokes are
- tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with garlic butter from the
- dish. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts:B> 1 serving equals 576 calories, 57 g fat (35 g saturated fat), 153 mg cholesterol, 695 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 5 g protein.