Lemon Streusel Muffins
"These delicate lemon muffins are wonderful served with bacon and eggs on Sunday mornings...or with a shrimp soup and garden salad for lunch," advises Mary Kelly of Hopland, California.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolks. Combine
- flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture
- alternately with lemon juice. In a small bowl, beat egg whites
- until stiff; fold into batter. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin
- cups two-thirds full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over
- muffins. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until muffins test
- done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Yield: about 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 331 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium,