Whenever friends compliment me on my zesty cake, I say, "Thanks Mom!" Her recipe for Lemon Streusel Cake was among dozens I took with me when I turned 21 and left home. When I was growing up, we had five kinds of fruit trees plus a big garden in our yard. Many times during the summer, I'd be so full from snacking on the "crops" that I'd have trouble finishing supper! Today, I'm a nurse in a large hospital—but my husband and I look forward someday to living in the country.
Recommended: 84 Lemon Recipes from Tart to Sweet
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Cut butter into cake mix until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup mixture for topping; stir in nuts and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the remaining cake mixture, milk and eggs on high speed for 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and peel until blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the batter and spread to edges of pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved cake mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Streusel Cake in Country Woman May/June 1990, p33
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Streusel Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review