Lemon Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- LEMON BUTTER:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. In another large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the milk, egg yolk and lemon peel; stir into crumb mixture until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Gently pat or roll each portion into a 3/4-in.-thick circle. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack; cool for 15 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and lemon peel; set aside. In another small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 6. To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates; spread with lemon butter. Top with half of the strawberries and whipped cream. Replace shortcake tops; top with remaining berries and cream. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 698 calories, 35g fat (21g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 87g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein
Reviews for Lemon Strawberry Shortcake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.