- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- LEMON BUTTER:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In another large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the milk, egg yolk and lemon peel; stir into crumb mixture until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Gently pat or roll each portion into a 3/4-in.-thick circle. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack; cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and lemon peel; set aside. In another small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates; spread with lemon butter. Top with half of the strawberries and whipped cream. Replace shortcake tops; top with remaining berries and cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Lemon Shortcake in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2010, p531
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Strawberry Shortcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review