Lemon Stars Recipe
Each one of these cookies has a citrusy zing and a light, crunchy texture. The star theme makes them ideal for the Christmas season. —Jacqueline Hill, Sandusky, Ohio
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Yellow colored sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Stir in sour cream and peel. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough into three balls; cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Remove one portion of dough from the refrigerator at a time. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. star cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, butter, extract, food coloring if desired and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies; sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Yield: 9 dozen.
1 cookie equals 43 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC