- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Yellow colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Stir in sour cream and peel. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough into three balls; cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Remove one portion of dough from the refrigerator at a time. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. star cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, butter, extract, food coloring if desired and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies; sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Yield: 9 dozen.
Reviews for Lemon Stars
"This is my favorite Christmas cookie! I love lemon! I have tried other recipes but I keep coming back to this one! It is always a hit at my annual Christmas cookie exchange!"
"I did not like this recipe. These cookies did not have any flavor. They were very bland and the dough was dry and difficult to roll out. I will not be making this again."
"I made these cookies with a bigger star!! I also added a bit more lemon peel. We loved them, the lemon taste was perfect. and decorating them make them perfect gifts. I think putting a straw hole in the top of each on before baking and putting a red ribbon on them would be a great for parties, put the names of each guest on them with edible markers. I also made some with blue glitter they also looked great!! I will def. be making this recipe for the yrs to come :)"
"This cookie was delicious! Very cute and fun looking and even better tasting! My cookies only needed to be in the oven for 5mins or they would burn. I got about three dozon or so. I left my dough in over night and it was very easy to work with and cut out. The frosting was very good and the lemon falvor was great. Everyone loved them at Christmas! I defently will be making again"
"If you like lemon, you will probably like these cookies. The recipe called for leaving it in the refrigerator for 3 hours before baking, but 1 hour sufficed for me. I thought the dough was easier to roll out than tradition cut-out sugar cookies. My family loved the lemon flavored frosting. A nice change and would make a nice summer "cooler" cookie. I would definitely make these again."