Oohs and ahs are sure to be the reaction when you bring this elegant torte to the table. It all starts with the unique almond and cinnamon-flavored crust topped with a layer of strawberry jam, then filled with prepared lemon sorbet. The torte is served with a rhubarb-strawberry sauce and additional fresh strawberries. Sarah Bradley of Athens, Texas gets the credit for creating this impressive dessert.
Recommended: 28 Easy No-Bake Summer Desserts
- 3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 3 pints lemon sorbet, softened
- STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2-1/2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, partially thawed and sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- Place the almonds, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Stir in the butter. Press onto the bottom and 2 in. up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt jam; spread over bottom of crust. Top with sorbet. Freeze until firm.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, combine sugar and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add rhubarb; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Add thawed strawberries; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla. Cool sauce; refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, remove sides of springform pan. Spoon 1/2 cup sauce onto center of torte; top with fresh strawberries. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Sorbet Torte in Country Woman March/April 2006, p41
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Sorbet Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review