Lemon Sorbet Torte Recipe
Oohs and ahs are sure to be the reaction when you bring this elegant torte to the table. It all starts with the unique almond and cinnamon-flavored crust topped with a layer of strawberry jam, then filled with prepared lemon sorbet. The torte is served with a rhubarb-strawberry sauce and additional fresh strawberries. Sarah Bradley of Athens, Texas gets the credit for creating this impressive dessert.
- 3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 3 pints lemon sorbet, softened
- STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2-1/2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, partially thawed and sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- Place the almonds, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Stir in the butter. Press onto the bottom and 2 in. up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt jam; spread over bottom of crust. Top with sorbet. Freeze until firm.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, combine sugar and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add rhubarb; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Add thawed strawberries; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla. Cool sauce; refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, remove sides of springform pan. Spoon 1/2 cup sauce onto center of torte; top with fresh strawberries. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Sorbet Torte in Country Woman March/April 2006, p41
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Sorbet Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review