- lemon juice and lemon peel until blended. Add butter; cook over
- medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and a thermometer
- reads at least 170°, about 20 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
- Remove from heat immediately. Transfer to a small bowl; cool. Press
- plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate until cold, about
- 1 hour.
- To serve, spread lemon filling on bottoms of half of the cookies;
- cover with remaining cookies. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Store
- leftovers in refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw cookies in covered containers. Fill and decorate as directed.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.