Lemon Snowdrops Recipe
I save my snowdrop cookies for special occasions. The crunchy, buttery sandwich cookie has a puckery lemon filling. —Bernice Martinoni, Petaluma, CA
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Gradually beat in flour. If necessary, cover and refrigerate dough until firm enough to shape.
- 2. Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in granulated sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg, granulated sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel until blended. Add butter; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and a thermometer reads at least 170°, about 20 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately. Transfer to a small bowl; cool. Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
To serve, spread lemon filling on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw cookies in covered containers. Fill and decorate as directed. Yield: 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC