- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Gradually beat in flour. If necessary, cover and refrigerate dough until firm enough to shape.
- Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in granulated sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg, granulated sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel until blended. Add butter; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and a thermometer reads at least 170°, about 20 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately. Transfer to a small bowl; cool. Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- To serve, spread lemon filling on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Snowdrops
Sort By :
I have made these many times--often just for me. Two tips--1) what ever shape the cookie is going into the oven, is the way they will come out. These do not spread. and 2) I have never gotten 30 cookies from this recipe. Maybe I make them too large, although I go for a mostly flattened, 1" cookie. Curd is easy but thoroughly mix the eggs and cook over low low heat to keep from getting scrambled egg white specks in the curd. The egg whites aren't bad, they just aren't pretty. Seems like more work than they really are and they look and taste great.