- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and egg until well blended. Add lemon juice and peel. Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Add almonds. Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned (cookies will not brown on top).
- Remove immediately to wire racks; cool for 5 minutes, then roll in confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Snowballs Cookie
"I live in Ut. at a very high altitude every cookie I try to cook goes flat, any suggestions? They were very tasty."
"Mine flattened out, but the flavor was great!"
"Disappointed! I added more lemon zest and a little more lemon juice to up the lemon flavor because I agree I didn't taste enough in the dough. This could have something to do with the end result. They are flat and not crispy at all the bottoms are browned and they are cooled but it's more like almost hardened play dough maybe it needs to sit out longer? There's no crunch to it"
"I make these cookies every year around Christmas, and they are definitely on my favorites list. I usually only chill them for about 2-3 hours, use the zest from 2 lemons along with the 1/4 cup juice it calls for, and the flavor is perfect. It never fails that I have 3-4 cookies that flatten a bit but the rest hold their shape."
"Sandra it could just be the butter you used cuz that can make them go flat"
"I just finised these, but they didn't stay completely round like the picture. I put dough in refrigerator over night. Are there any cookie or baking experts out there that might offer some suggestions or advice?"
"I just finished baking these but mine also lost it's ball look. I did everything the recipe said. Even left in frig. overnight. Anyone have any suggestions? Appreciate it."
"The cookies were not lemony enough for my taste so next time will add more lemon zest and juice. They did not stay in a ball shape as the picture suggests but overall a very good cookie."
"I would prefer a stronger lemon flavor, but I was pleased with the way the cookies turned out. I used a 1" scoop to form the balls and did not chill the dough. The cookies spread just a little. Were perfectly acceptable size and texture."
"I made these for a tree decorating party and my friends want me to make each of them a batch for Christmas. Great lemon flavor."