For a special occasion like a church supper, I make this beautiful dessert. The lemon and coconut flavors go so wonderfully together. Everyone will be asking for the recipe.—Lucy Rickers, Bonsall, California
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cubed
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add sugar, orange juice, lemon peel, lemon juice and salt; mix well. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken, about 25 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat 2 cups cream until stiff peaks form; fold into lemon mixture. Line a 12-cup bowl with plastic wrap. Layer with 1 cup each lemon filling and cake cubes. Repeat layers five times; top with remaining filling. Refrigerate, covered, 6 hours or up to 2 days.
- To serve, invert bowl onto a large serving platter. Remove plastic wrap. Beat confectioners' sugar and remaining cream until stiff peaks form; spread over cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Snowball in Country Woman May/June 1995, p10
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Snowball
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review