- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cubed
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add sugar, orange juice, lemon peel, lemon juice and salt; mix well. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken, about 1 hour.
- Whip 2 cups of the cream; fold into lemon mixture. Line 12-cup bowl with plastic wrap. Spoon 1 cup of lemon filling into lined bowl. Sprinkle with a layer of cake. Alternate filling cake, ending with filling. Cover and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- To serve, invert bowl onto a large serving platter. Remove plastic wrap. Beat confectioners' sugar and remaining cream. Frost entire cake; sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Snowball in Country Woman May/June 1995, p10
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Snowball
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review