Every year my mom and I collect cookie recipes we want to try and then get together in early December for an afternoon of baking. These no-fail lemon cookies have become an annual tradition. They're a wonderful homemade holiday gift. —Kristen Johnson, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Yellow, green or red colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes. Let dough stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. diamond-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and peel; spread over cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Shortbreads in Simple & Delicious October/November 2011, p63
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Shortbreads
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review