- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 22 pretzel sticks
- ROYAL ICING:
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 10 teaspoons water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- Red and green paste food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar and cornstarch until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel and juice. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- Divide dough into two portions; shape each into two 6-in. logs. Flatten top and push in sides at an angle to form a 2-in. x 2-in. x 1-1/2-in.-triangle. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Break pretzel sticks in half; press into short side of each cookie for tree trunk. Bake at 350° 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Remove 1 cup and tint red. Tint remaining icing green. (Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth.)
- Frost and decorate cookies as desired. Let dry at room temperature for several hours or until firm. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forLemon Shortbread Trees
"Family wasn't impressed with the Lemon side of it, but enjoyed decorating them"