Lemon Shortbread Squares
During the Christmas season, I keep homemade cookies available in my office to share with co-workers. These easy-to-prepare squares always get rave reviews.
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in extracts. Gradually add flour. Mix until dough forms a ball and
- pulls away from the side of the bowl. Stir in lemon peel if desired.
- Press into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Score with a sharp
- knife into 16 squares. Prick each square twice with a fork. Sprinkle
- with pecans; press firmly into dough.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and
- pecans are toasted. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut along scored lines. Cool
- completely in pan on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
- Yield: 16 squares.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 140 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 73 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.