Lemon Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, cornstarch, nutmeg, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. (Dough will be crumbly.) Shape into a ball.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, press dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-in. fluted cookie cutter; place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick cookies with a fork. Reroll scraps if desired.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until firm. Cool for 2 minutes before carefully removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; drizzle over cookies. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 77 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Lemon Shortbread Cookies
"I was disappointed with these cookies. They were not light and delicate, rather tough. I also felt that the addition of the nutmeg was not a good idea, and detracted from the lemon flavour."
"These are absolutely delicious. Light and delicate cookies, fantastic flavor. Very easy to make. The lemon zest adds just the right touch. Only butter; no substitutes!"