- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) lemon pie filling
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix and eggs until well blended. Fold in pie filling.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 30-35 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Sheet Cake
"Fantastic! Perfect for pot lucks! First, I beat the eggs on medium for 3 minutes until whites/yolks were completely combined. Added cake mix next and mixed on medium high for a few minutes, stopping several times to fold in unmixed portions of the batter. I do not like to over mix, but this was a very thick batter and tough to get a thorough mix. Finally added pie filling, and did lots more mixing/folding. A bit of a pain and a thick batter, but it came out the perfect sponge cake! Used my go to cream cheese frosting (family preference). Plate was licked clean! Thanks!"
"Very Heavy cake. Hope to find a better lemon cake recipe."
"For some reason, the lemon pie filling seems to congragate in the center of the pan and it is one large gooey mess. The rest of the cake is outstanding and my friends rave about it.. What am I doing wrong?"
"My aunt brought this to a family function and I had to have the recipe. I've taken them places and people always like them. My husband and kids love them for a change of pace from my "old stand by" cookies and bars. I use a slightly different cream cheese frosting, but that is just because it is tried and true, rather than trying a different one."
"Question: Even though the cake recipe calls for water, oil and eggs, I still mix ONLY the poweder mix and the eggs? I did it this way and it turned out great but the batter looks very odd when you put in the pan - greasy and slimy??? Thanks."