These delicate scones are the perfect lightly sweet treat to serve with coffee or tea at any holiday get-together. It's a simple bread since, like biscuits, it doesn't require much kneading and there's no need to let the dough rise.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Additional sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda
- and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add
- buttermilk and lemon peel, stirring just until mixed.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently six times. Shape into a
- ball. On a greased baking sheet, pat dough into a circle about 1/2
- in thick and 8-1/2 in. in diameter. Using a sharp knife, cut wedges
- in the dough, being careful not to cut all the way through. Sprinkle
- with sugar. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are
- lightly browned. Yield: 10-12 scones.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 198 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 324 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.