Lemon Schaum Torte Recipe
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 9 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar. Beat on medium spoon until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Spread meringue on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn oven off and let stand in oven for 1 hour. Do not open door. Remove from the oven; cool on wire rack.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon peel and remaining sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to small bowl; cool.
- 4. In a chilled bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread half over meringue; cover with lemon mixture. Top with remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 388 calories, 27 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 215 mg cholesterol, 51 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.