- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 9 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar. Beat on medium spoon until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread meringue on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn oven off and let stand in oven for 1 hour. Do not open door. Remove from the oven; cool on wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon peel and remaining sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to small bowl; cool.
- In a chilled bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread half over meringue; cover with lemon mixture. Top with remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Schaum Torte
"For Karen 108 I think he probably did not cook it long enough or possibly his stoves version of medium high was closer to medium low"
"This was very,very good. I will be making this often.My husband loved it.And it was very easy to make..Thank you so very much for sharing..."
"Make this only when the humidity is low or it will be sticky. I deleted the cinnamon and used finely grated lemon peel."
"We originally tried this recipe in lieu of lemon meringue pie for a friend who cannot have gluten. It is light, delicious, and easy to make."
"My boyfriend baked this torte and he was wondering why the lemon filling did not thicken as much as it should even though every detail of the recipe was followed. Any suggestions or idea?Thank you"