Lemon Risotto with Broccoli Recipe
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice and lemon peel; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- 2. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed. Carefully stir in 1 cup warm broth; cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in broccoli.
- 3. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow liquid to absorb between additions. Cook until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes).
- 4. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and lemon juice. Sprinkle with thyme. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
2/3 cup equals 198 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 447 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.