Lemon Raisin Filled Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill overnight.
- 2. For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add water; stir to dissolve. Add raisins; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir a little of the hot mixture into beaten egg; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Cool.
- 3. Divide chilled dough into thirds. Roll out a portion at a time on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 2-1/2-in. circles. Place 1 teaspoon filling on half of the circles; top with remaining circles. Pinch edges together to seal; place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. (Use any leftover filling in tarts or as a dessert sauce over cake.) Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 288 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.