Lemon Raisin Filled Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill overnight.
- 2. For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add water; stir to dissolve. Add raisins; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir a little of the hot mixture into beaten egg; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Cool.
- 3. Divide chilled dough into thirds. Roll out a portion at a time on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 2-1/2-in. circles. Place 1 teaspoon filling on half of the circles; top with remaining circles. Pinch edges together to seal; place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. (Use any leftover filling in tarts or as a dessert sauce over cake.) Yield: about 4 dozen.
If Cooking for Two: Freeze cookies in airtight containers or freezer bags; thaw as needed.
2 each: 288 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Raisin Filled Cookies
"This is an old 'Lemon Raisin Filled Cookies' recipe. The raisin filling may or may not be the filling suggested on the 'Basic cookie Dough' recipe. It doesn't read as a clear filling. It is even suggested as a sauce - if there's any extra leftover."
"everyone that ate these loved them"