Lemon Poppy Seed Slices
My mom taught me to bake, and I use lots of recipes from her abundant collection, including this one.
33 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in egg, milk lemon peel and extracts. Gradually add flour and mix
- well. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Shape into two 8-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate
- for 3 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slice. Place
- 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool
- for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 103 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.