Lemon Poppy Seed Slices Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk lemon peel and extracts. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in poppy seeds. Shape into two 8-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slice. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 103 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.