- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk lemon peel and extracts. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in poppy seeds. Shape into two 8-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slice. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Poppy Seed Slices
Sort By :
"After viewing the reviews beforehand, I did add 1 extra teas of fresh lemon juice but no baking soda as I do prefer crisp type cookies. I think I could have added even more lemon juice. I would make these again though as I like the crisp texture."
"didn't care for the texture... very little flavor."
"Made these but did alter a bit. Added 1/2 tsp. Baking soda, used 1 tsp. Lemon juice instead, and baked for only 8 min. Very good and NOT rock hard as they were not over baked. Yummy recipe!"
"Needs baking soda."
"I made the cookies per recipe. Before baking I thought to myself, there is no baking soda or baking powder. These cookies are going to be hard. I was correct...hard as a brick! Lot of wasted ingredients and time spent on this one."