- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk lemon peel and extracts. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in poppy seeds. Shape into two 8-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Poppy Seed Slices
"After viewing the reviews beforehand, I did add 1 extra teas of fresh lemon juice but no baking soda as I do prefer crisp type cookies. I think I could have added even more lemon juice. I would make these again though as I like the crisp texture."
"didn't care for the texture... very little flavor."
"Made these but did alter a bit. Added 1/2 tsp. baking soda, used 1 tsp. Lemon juice instead, and baked for only 8 min. Very good and NOT rock hard as they were not over baked. Yummy recipe!"
"Needs baking soda."
"wonderful and I agree with Di820, don't rate it if you haven't tried it"
"What's up with these people who rate a recipe and comment on it even though they didn't prepare the recipe. One person gave this recipe one star, another gave it four stars despite the fact that neither of them made the cookies. THESE ARE NOT REVIEWS. Also, without preparing the recipe they are not qualified to rate it. I DID make these cookies and they were wonderful. Didn't have lemon extract so I added one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice which gave the cookies just the right amount of lemon flavor."
"Yes, it should be able to be frozen. Sounds like a very good recipe; I will be trying it. I'm sure I will give it more stars when I've made the cookies!"
"Can the cookie dough be frozen for future use?"