My mom taught me to bake, and I use lots of recipes from her abundant collection, including this one for lemon cookies. —Pauline Piraino, Bay Shore, New York
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk lemon peel and extracts. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in poppy seeds. Shape into two 8-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slice. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Poppy Seed Slices in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p91
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Poppy Seed Slices
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review