Lemon Poppy Seed Slices Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk lemon peel and extracts. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Shape into two 8-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slice. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Poppy Seed Slices(9)
Sort By :
After viewing the reviews beforehand, I did add 1 extra teas of fresh lemon juice but no baking soda as I do prefer crisp type cookies. I think I could have added even more lemon juice. I would make these again though as I like the crisp texture.
didn't care for the texture... very little flavor.
Made these but did alter a bit. Added 1/2 tsp. Baking soda, used 1 tsp. Lemon juice instead, and baked for only 8 min. Very good and NOT rock hard as they were not over baked. Yummy recipe!
Needs baking soda.
I made the cookies per recipe. Before baking I thought to myself, there is no baking soda or baking powder. These cookies are going to be hard. I was correct...hard as a brick! Lot of wasted ingredients and time spent on this one.