Lemon Poppy Seed Slices Recipe
My mom taught me to bake, and I use lots of recipes from her abundant collection, including this one. —Pauline Piraino, Bay Shore, New York
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk lemon peel and extracts. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Shape into two 8-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slice. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Poppy Seed Slices in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p91
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Poppy Seed Slices(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review