Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread
Grace Yaskovic from Branchville, New Jersey picks poppy seeds to perk up her lemony cookies. "A sprinkling of sugar adds a sparkling sweetness," she notes.
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a bowl, beat butter and confectioners'
- sugar until blended. Beat in poppy seeds and lemon juice. Gradually
- beat in flour.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll
- each portion of dough into a 4-in. circle. Transfer to ungreased
- baking sheets. Cut each circle into six wedges, but do not separate.
- Prick tops with a fork. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until light brown. Cool on pans 10 minutes.
- Transfer shortbread to a cutting board; recut into wedges. Cool on a
- wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 92 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 46 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white