Grace Yaskovic from Branchville, New Jersey picks poppy seeds to perk up her lemony cookies. "A sprinkling of sugar adds a sparkling sweetness," she notes.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in poppy seeds and lemon juice. Gradually beat in flour.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 4-in. circle. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets. Cut each circle into six wedges, but do not separate. Prick tops with a fork. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until light brown. Cool on pans 10 minutes. Transfer shortbread to a cutting board; recut into wedges. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p18
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review