Lemon-Poppy Seed Cutout Cookies
Even though cake mix is one of the ingredients, I worked with the recipe until the cookies were fantastically crisp. You'd never guess they weren't from scratch. —Charlotte McDaniel, Jacksonville, Alabama
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and oil; gradually add cake mix and mix
- well. Stir in poppy seeds and lemon peel.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each
- portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in.
- flower-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
- Yield: 3 dozen.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers before serving.