Even though cake mix is one of the ingredients, I worked with the recipe until the cookies were fantastically crisp. You'd never guess they weren't from scratch. —Charlotte McDaniel, Jacksonville, Alabama
Recommended: Mom's Best Cookie Recipes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and oil; gradually add cake mix and mix well. Stir in poppy seeds and lemon peel.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. flower-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers before serving. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon-Poppy Seed Cutout Cookies in Simple & Delicious February/March 2014
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon-Poppy Seed Cutout Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 24, 2014
"We really like these cookies! The lemon zest gives them a bright, fresh lemon flavor and they look pretty too!"