Even though cake mix is one of the ingredients, I worked with the recipe until the cookies were fantastically crisp. You'd never guess they weren't from scratch. —Charlotte McDaniel, Jacksonville, Alabama
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and oil; gradually add cake mix and mix well. Stir in poppy seeds and lemon peel.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. flower-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
- Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers before serving. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon-Poppy Seed Cutout Cookies in Simple & Delicious February/March 2014
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon-Poppy Seed Cutout Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 24, 2014
"We really like these cookies! The lemon zest gives them a bright, fresh lemon flavor and they look pretty too!"