Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine cake and pudding mix. Add the water, oil, eggs and extracts. Beat for 30 seconds on low speed. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in poppy seeds. Pour into a greased 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- 3. Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; brush over warm cake. Cool. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 264 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
"This cakes bakes up a beautiful yellow color and a fabulous lemon taste! The cake did not taste of fake lemon but instead a light refreshing lemon taste. I made it as directed except used 5 mini-loaves instead of a bundt pan. Wrapped individually and gave away as gifts. With or without powdered sugar this is a winning cake!"
"I've been making for years. Very good!What I do different is--after the cake comes out of the oven (still in pan) I poke holes with long tine fork and pour topping on. Let cool completely in pan."
"would the cooking time change at all if i put it in a cake pan and what size should i use?"
"I just made this. It is fantastic! I did adjust the cooking time to 30 minutes."
"At what point in the recipe do you add the eggs? Would like an answer."
"The recipe doesn't state in the directions when to add the eggs. I'm making it now for a picnic this afternoon....hope it comes out as good as it sounds!"
"The best pound cake I have ever made or tasted."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.