- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine cake and pudding mix. Add the water, oil, eggs and extracts. Beat for 30 seconds on low speed. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in poppy seeds. Pour into a greased 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; brush over warm cake. Cool. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Sort By :
"This cakes bakes up a beautiful yellow color and a fabulous lemon taste! The cake did not taste of fake lemon but instead a light refreshing lemon taste. I made it as directed except used 5 mini-loaves instead of a bundt pan. Wrapped individually and gave away as gifts. With or without powdered sugar this is a winning cake!"
"I've been making for years. Very good!What I do different is--after the cake comes out of the oven (still in pan) I poke holes with long tine fork and pour topping on. Let cool completely in pan."
"would the cooking time change at all if i put it in a cake pan and what size should i use?"
"I just made this. It is fantastic! I did adjust the cooking time to 30 minutes."
"At what point in the recipe do you add the eggs? Would like an answer."