This luscious, lemony cake recipe from Betty Bjarnason is one of many collected by Brenda Wood of Egbert, Ontario for a reunion cookbook.
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine cake and pudding mix. Add the water, oil, eggs and extracts. Beat for 30 seconds on low speed. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in poppy seeds. Pour into a greased 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; brush over warm cake. Cool. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Poppy Seed Cake in Country Woman July/August 1997, p43
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review