Lemon Pirouettes Recipe
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. Using a pencil, draw three 3-in. circles on a sheet of parchment paper. Place paper, pencil mark down, on a baking sheet; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Beat in the butter, lemon peel and extracts. Gradually beat in flour until smooth.
- 3. Spread 2 teaspoons batter over each circle. Bake at 400° for 4-6 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- 4. Working quickly, loosen cookies from parchment paper with a thin spatula and roll up. Repeat with remaining batter.
- 5. In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip each cookie halfway, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper and sprinkle with coconut. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cookie equals 73 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 6 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.