Lemon Pie in Meringue Shell Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the egg yolks, lemon juice and peel, salt and remaining sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- 3. Fold half of the whipped cream into lemon filling; spread into meringue shell. Top with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 286 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 147 mg cholesterol, 73 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.