Lemon Orange Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat well after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add the orange juice, lemon juice, peels and extract; beat until well blended. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 slice: 740 calories, 29g fat (16g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 114g carbohydrate (86g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Orange Cake
"Okay, I did a few changes and the results were fantastic! I added grated lemon and orange peel to the batter as well as fresh lemon juice instead of the lemon extract. I did not make a 3 layer cake, instead I made a 9x13 and an 8x8 with the recipe. For the frosting, I used only 1 cup of powdered sugar and again used grated orange and lemon peel and fresh lemon and orange juice. I used 1 TBL butter softened and when spread on the warm cake created a glaze rather than a thick frosting. I found this to let the taste of the cake show through rather than the frosting. Yummy!"
"So good,and is thiferent"
"I made this for a friend on their birthday and they loved it.. It is Easter and this was on the menu.. I will keep this receipt and make it over and over again.. thank you for Sharing it"
"I have been making this for years and it is amazing. We all love it."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.