- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat well after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add the orange juice, lemon juice, peels and extract; beat until well blended. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Orange Cake
"Excellent. Very tall cake as it is 3 layers. Just fit in my cake container. I did need to add a few TBs of milk to the icing in order to smooth the consistency. Will definitely make again."
"Okay, I did a few changes and the results were fantastic! I added grated lemon and orange peel to the batter as well as fresh lemon juice instead of the lemon extract. I did not make a 3 layer cake, instead I made a 9x13 and an 8x8 with the recipe. For the frosting, I used only 1 cup of powdered sugar and again used grated orange and lemon peel and fresh lemon and orange juice. I used 1 TBL butter softened and when spread on the warm cake created a glaze rather than a thick frosting. I found this to let the taste of the cake show through rather than the frosting. Yummy!"
"So good,and is thiferent"
"I made this for a friend on their birthday and they loved it.. It is Easter and this was on the menu.. I will keep this receipt and make it over and over again.. thank you for Sharing it"
"I made this cake for a friends birthday and it was so good.. Today is Easter and I am making it again.. Thank you for sharing it is a family favorite now"