- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat well after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add the orange juice, lemon juice, peels and extract; beat until well blended. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Orange Cake
Sort By :
So good,and is thiferent
I made this for a friend on their birthday and they loved it.. It is Easter and this was on the menu.. I will keep this receipt and make it over and over again.. thank you for Sharing it
I made this cake for a friends birthday and it was so good.. Today is Easter and I am making it again.. Thank you for sharing it is a family favorite now
I have been making this for years and it is amazing. We all love it.